In an increasing number of space designs, a small detail has been added to the treatment of wall stones – leaving gaps. Do you know why? It can be seen everywhere in hotel lobbies, sales offices, residential entrances, and other spaces, especially in the mainstream wall stones of beige, light gray, and black series. In large spaces, the details of stone seams are perfectly applied. What are the benefits of leaving gaps in wall stone? What harm does it have? In this article, we will explain the benefits of leaving seams on walls together.
Analyze from three factors:
1、 Visual factors
1. Leaving gaps in large areas of stone can effectively avoid the problem of poor appearance caused by uneven installation and non verticality during on-site construction due to various reasons.
2. It can effectively alleviate the color difference collision problem that occurs in the stone itself. After leaving the seam, the color difference will be alleviated excessively, not as obvious as the tight seam.
3. It can effectively avoid the edges and corners of stone, and defects caused by collisions, cutting errors, etc. due to various reasons. After leaving the joint, small collisions at the edges and corners will not appear so obvious and weaken its existence (of course, if the collision at the edges and corners is large, the treatment method for leaving the joint cannot be covered up, and the stone must be replaced or repaired by the manufacturer).
4. If the pattern of the stone itself is not obvious, or it is close to a solid color (such as Spanish beige, Yashi gray, etc.), without seam treatment, the entire space will appear weak, paste into a ball, and the effect is similar to the effect presented by coating. Therefore, at this time, it is necessary to use seam treatment to make the entire space strong.
2、 Construction factors
1. After the joint treatment, the installation of large areas of stone is more convenient and fast.
2. The installation method of dry hanging stone with seam treatment is not prone to quality problems. Because we all know that the quality issues that can easily arise from dry hanging stone on the wall are surface unevenness, non verticality, and diagonal misalignment. After sealing, these problems can be easily avoided and unnecessary rework can be avoided.
One point that needs special explanation: whether the dry hanging stone has a seam has little to do with the deformation of the material caused by thermal expansion, because the dry hanging is different from the wet sticking, and there is no role of mortar and adhesive. Normal thermal expansion will not have too much impact on the stone.
3、 Cost factors
1. Large areas of stone have gaps, and the gaps will inevitably require edge grinding and sweeping treatment. This cost will be included in the stone processing fee, usually charged at 5-8 yuan/meter. Calculated based on the length of the gaps in the large area of the wall, the project profit can also be appropriately increased.
If the gap is too small and needs to be pointed, it can also increase the cost of the project and achieve better decorative effects.
4、 Analysis of the “Disadvantages” of Wall Stone Seaming
1. Small spaces are not suitable for seam treatment. People in small spaces are close enough to the wall to easily feel the roughness of the gaps. If the seam is not suitable and just stays above or below the person’s line of sight, then you will definitely see the fixed steel frame inside through the seam, and instead lose the meaning of the seam.
2. Although the seam leaving treatment avoids common problems such as color difference, insufficient flatness and verticality, and too small end closure in tight seam splicing, the size of the seam needs to be strictly controlled. If the size of the seam is not uniformly controlled, the final effect can be imagined.
3. Stitching treatment has a higher level of challenge for workers’ skills and management during the construction process. For tight joints, dry hanging adhesive can be applied at will, but for seam retention treatment, the dosage of dry hanging adhesive needs to be strictly controlled. Otherwise, if too much is applied and it is not cleaned in a timely manner in the later stage, it will be difficult to remove it after curing, ultimately forming a clear adhesive mark that affects the appearance of the final product.