The use of stone has spanned several centuries and is still lingering today. It is still a popular material in garden design. It can be the bright background of the garden. Of course, it has already become the real key element of the garden for paths or garden stairs. Designers show us creative ideas related to stone and tell us the creative space of natural materials.
So what kind of “stone” is used outdoors to create landscape?
It is an indisputable fact that stone is widely used in the garden. Stone has beauty, durability, and cold resistance. With time, our subconscious takes stone as a symbol of eternal strength and hope. If you want to choose stones correctly, you must understand the main characteristics and characteristics of different types of stones.
Stone as a decorative element
Many people choose granite because of its high hardness, wear-resistance and other characteristics, and different colors. It can be harmoniously combined with plants, making people look very beautiful. The most commonly used natural rock is sandstone, which is suitable for various forms of change and has become a common decoration in gardens. It can be used to build retaining walls, paths, platforms, and so on.
Path to building floors and decorating Gardens
Limestone is a diversified garden decoration with a wide variety, but this kind of stone may affect some plants.
Tips for creating a miniature “rock garden”
Due to the stable atmosphere of “rock garden”, it has become very popular now. If you also want to have a miniature rock garden, you can choose to create such a landscape miniature in the corner of the garden. Use the combination of stone, masonry, gravel, sandstone, and gravel, and plant some drought-resistant plants. Congratulations, it’s done.
Stone retaining wall, perfect country style garden
Another element of garden design is to create stones of different sizes, which can be used in different areas of the garden. If you want to make people feel relaxed in this area, you can plant some plants in the middle of the stones to create a warm atmosphere.
Conclusion: a variety of natural stones can be used to design paths, walkways, and stairs in the garden, which depends on your style and budget. If you require beauty, you can choose sandstone to create the beauty of mosaic. If you don’t want to spend too much. You can pave some pebbles or gravel on the garden path, which is also fashionable.
Ten kinds of stone materials for common garden landscaping
Taihu stone: produced in Taihu Lake, Jiangsu Province, without sharp edges and corners, with smooth surface and strange and changeable shape. The stone color is generally gray-white, and occasionally blue and black. It is suitable for large aquarium settings and planting large aquatic plants.
Crystal stone: transparent or milky white, crystal clear, peculiar body wall and beautiful shape. It is suitable for the setting of the small and medium-sized aquarium.
Sand accumulated stone: also known as pumice and absorbent stone, it is a kind of soft rock with strong water absorption. Epiphytic algae are easy to grow. Aquatic plants can also be planted between stone caves, or a layer of green algae can grow on the rock surface. Suitable for medium aquarium setting.
Ying: it is gray and black, hard in texture, and difficult to process. It is produced in Yingde County, Guangdong Province. Small and peculiar stones are often selected for aquarium box scenery.
Axe stone: the color is blue-gray or black-gray. It can be excavated into large strange peaks and different mountains. It looks magnificent and spectacular. It’s amazing. This stone landscape is suitable for large fish tanks.
Stalagmite: there is gray and purple-brown. It is soft and hard. It is produced at the junction of Jiangxi and Zhejiang. It has few sources and is very precious. Stalagmite stone has a peculiar shape. It is slender and upright like bamboo shoots after a spring rain. It is interesting and unique to set the scenery with this stone. The broken stone often has edges and corners, which need to be polished and smooth before use. It is suitable for the setting of the medium-sized fish tank.
Stalactite: also known as milk tube stone, is a kind of rock produced in various caves. The shape is peculiar, and the algae are easy to attach. It can be used to dig scenery and holes manually. Because it contains more calcareous matter, it must be soaked in water for several days before it can be used for setting in the aquarium. Due to its crisp texture and heavy alkalinity, it often affects the change of pH value, which is suitable for ornamental fish that like weak alkaline water quality. This kind of stone is produced in Guangxi, Guangdong, Hebei, Chengde, and other places.
Coral stone: it is a coral fossil with rich colors and different forms. Coral stone is suitable for alkaline tank scenery.
Pebble: it is gradually formed by the long-term scouring of mountain rocks. It is smooth and round, as big as a standard plate and as small as a bird’s egg. The scenery is colorful and suitable for the bottom of a small fish tank.
Eight techniques of building stone wall landscape with garden stone
1. Lines: lines refer to the texture, direction, and pattern of wall joints of stones. Horizontal lines express lightness and stretch; Vertical lines, expressing majestic height and straightness; Rectangular and prismatic lines, stable and solemn expression; Oblique lines express direction and dynamic vitality; Zigzag lines express lightness and liveliness.
2. Texture: texture refers to the touch and visual feeling of material texture and texture. Granite, marble, sandstone, shale, and other stones are thick, rigid, and rough, which are directly suitable for outdoor gardens and pool banks; After processing, the texture is smooth and fine, and the texture is consistent. It is suitable for commemorative activities. Pebbles and gravels are smooth and lively and have strong color contrast. They can be built into a landscape according to a certain pattern.
3. Volume: Volume refers to the visual somatosensory component. In landscaping, to highlight the volume, sometimes large and small blocks are used to vertically suspend the wall and lined with a circular dry pool to show the artistic modeling of the volume and the comparison of the interface.
4. Color: color can give people a sense of intensity, warmth, coordination, and stimulation. To show its effect on rainy days or nights, the pattern of the stone wall is often used together with luminous materials to highlight the visual effect.
5. Light and shadow: the light and shade, strength, weight, lifting, and shaking in the visual sense will cause specific light and shadow and effects. To some extent, “light and shadow is also a kind of material, active material”, which should be well used.
6. Spatial hierarchy: virtual reality, height, front and back, depth, stratification, and division can form a strong sense of spatial sequence hierarchy. Stone walls are combined with greening planting hole pools or overhanging flower beds. Fences can also be used as virtual and garden walls as real to form a contrast between virtual and real, set off levels, and make the landscape composed of fences and fences full of vitality.
7. Flower decoration: it appears on the garden wall in the form of strong decorative patterns, patterns, colors, and reliefs so that the wall becomes a part of the vertical sculpture in the garden and gives full play to its specific artistic function. It can not only view the group scenery from a distance but also appreciate fine products near, to kill several birds with one stone.
8. Rhythm and rhythm texture, volume, color, light and shadow, lines, and other elements appear and combine repeatedly, which can show a certain rhythm and rhythm. A group of garden walls with beautiful rhythm and distinct rhythm can arouse happiness in people’s thoughts and feelings. The shape design, texture strength, line aggregation and dispersion, height and size, transformation and overlap, replacement and cadence of the fence, repeatedly gyrate and alternately combine in regular intervals, and the natural terrain forms the rhythm and rhythm of the garden wall, making a breakthrough and change in the original monotonous vertical linear interface, which has become an important link in the environmental design system of garden architecture.
As an important part of the project, the stone garden can not only increase the landscape of the project but also improve the grade of the whole project. Therefore, for the stone garden, we must pay attention to the sense of design and control the quality! Well, this article will be written here first. I look forward to you sharing more interesting stone stories. Welcome to email me firstname.lastname@example.org.