Buddha statues are traditional Chinese art. Chinese-made Buddha statues are often worshipped in temples. The shape and appearance of Chinese Buddha statues belong to that kind of quiet, peaceful, and solemn. China is a big Buddhist country. Chinese Buddha statues are generally gold and bronze, indicating sincere faith. The material is generally stone, such as the world-famous Longmen Grottoes, so they are also called stone Buddha statues. In this article, we will tell the story of stone Buddha statues.
1. Origin of stone Buddha
There are two theories about the origin of stone Buddha statues. One is in the historical sense, and the other is based on the elevation angle. According to historical records and relics, stone Buddha statues appeared in the first and second centuries, that is, the katana Dynasty in India. At that time, on the one hand, the statues had the body and face style of Greece and Rome, and at the same time, they also integrated Indian wood and earth sculpture. The images of Buddha and Bodhisattva were strong, but the face looked rigid, and the overall lack of Buddhist thinking tranquility, and the vividness of Greek and Roman sculpture. The characteristics of Buddha statues in the early era were more prominent. Only in the Gupta era of the fifth and sixth centuries did the Buddha statues have a style. The emergence of stone Buddha has been experienced many times since ancient times and is constantly changing, but what does not change is the pious heart of people in carving stone, Buddha.
2. Function of stone Buddha
Making stone Buddha statues is a matter of boundless merit and virtue, which plays an irreplaceable role in spreading Buddhism. It is precise because Buddha sculpture plays such an important role that Buddhist statues have always been very aesthetic. Buddhism achieves its propaganda purpose through image infection. Viewing Buddha is not only to see stone Buddha statues but also to meditate and imagine the sublimity of Buddha by watching Buddha’s “friendship”. Get close to the Buddha in your heart, so you can shorten the distance with the Buddha.
3. Material selection of stone Buddha statues
The use of stone carving materials still depends on the theme and location of the carving. Generally, the carving stones used in Eastern religious places such as Buddhism are mainly granite, especially Buddha statues, which have solemn requirements for color, mainly bluestone and white marble. If it is the carving of modern characters, sesame white granite is commonly used, and some animal themes are mostly rust stones, while sacred animals are Bluestone, sesame black, and sesame white.
4. Production technology of stone Buddha
● When carving Buddha statues, carving technicians should first form a three-dimensional Buddha shape in their minds. For example, the shape, dynamics, expression, head, neck, chest, body, limbs, fingerprints, crown belt, clothing, clothing patterns, accessories, etc. of stone Buddha statues. However, from the whole to the part, each part should have a clear thinking structure, and use this conception and modeling to guide and complete the whole stone carving process.
● After finalizing the design of stone Buddha statues, confirm the size of Buddha statues. Generally, large stone Buddha statues are made by split production, so the parts of the Buddha statues should be distributed well, and then the stones should be selected according to the basic proportion of the Buddha statues.
● After the stone materials are distributed, the stone materials shall be made into waste materials with a length of about 3cm. Then, the bottom surface of the Buddha statue shall be installed with a line and leveled, and the centerline, head dynamic line, and sideline shall be placed. Along the sideline, a curved ruler shall be used to cross the line according to the plane of the bottom surface of the Buddha statue, and the sides of four sides shall be marked. Then, the height of the base shall be measured with a ruler according to the bottom line of the base, and the base shall be marked out, and the Buddha statue shall be overturned so that.
● On the front of the Buddha statue, the basic positions of the head, neck, chest, limbs, and fluctuating clothing patterns of the Buddha statue are outlined with a brick or brush, and the basic contours of each part are displayed by using a drill rod
● Then, starting from the front of the Buddha statue, further outline the structural relationship between various parts of the Buddha statue and each other, carve the mutual structure, origin, and pulse of each part clearly, and make the side and back again according to this method
● Start to look for thin with flat pointed fine drill rod, grab and knife, such as silk hair, face opening, through living, carving accessories, clothing patterns, carving base, etc. during through living, do not use too much force. It is necessary to produce small slag and live slag, do not kill drill rod and hold slag, dig out the through mouth layer by layer, bit by bit. When looking for details, carefully clean the whole Buddha statue several times to remove all redundant parts that affect the artistic modeling
● Start polishing. In the early polishing, the grinding blocks were made of sand and stone. There are coarse sand and fine sand. First, grind the coarse sand and stone several times, and then grind the fine sand and stone several times. After polishing, wipe the yellow wax on the raw white cloth, and then wax and polish the head, face, arms, shoulders, and insteps of the Buddha statue with the raw white cloth. No wax is applied to other parts. This is a technique of comparative polishing, which makes the light place brighter.
● Maintenance of stone Buddha statues
Large stone Buddha statues are exposed to the harsh environment of long-term Feng Shui, sun and rain outdoors, and stone lesions are inevitable. Compared with granite, the best choice for the preservation of Buddha statues is that of granite, which is more resistant to weathering and corrosion.
The maintenance of stone Buddha statues includes early-stage protection and later cleaning care. The early-stage protection requires comprehensive protection during the construction and installation of stone Buddha statues. It is best to use stone sealant and a protective agent to seal and waterproof and oil-proof the stone surface. In the later stage of cleaning care, Baihua remover, water spot cleaner, and rust remover can be used to treat Baihua water spots and rust spots. Indoor small stone Buddha statues only need to do a good job in early protection and daily dust removal. If there is a disease, we should select the appropriate stone cleaner according to the type of disease to treat the disease of stone Buddha statues.
The overall modeling design of each stone Buddha statue is full of tension, and a variety of processes cooperate, so that the Buddha statue sculpture works have a sense of history and aesthetics of scale, so as not to make people feel depressed, anxious, and disrespectful. Well, this article is written here. If you are interested in stone Buddha statues, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.